How to Use a Face Mask Safely!
ROSSLYN NORTH SUPPLIES
It’s all very well having a face mask or protective face covering - but it’s no good unless you are using it properly!
Let’s have a quick look at the most important things to remember when using a mask in order to protect against Coronavirus.
Before you open the packet or touch the mask - STOP! Back away! Wash your hands, thoroughly and deeply, following all of the correct government guidance. Let’s revisit that advice to make sure we’re doing things properly.
1. You should wash your hands for the amount of time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" twice (around 20 seconds).
2. Wet your hands with water.
3. Apply enough soap to cover your hands.
4. Rub your hands together.
5. Use 1 hand to rub the back of the other hand and clean in between the fingers. Do the same with the other hand.
6. Rub your hands together and clean in between your fingers.
Sanitise your hands before handling a mask!
7. Rub the back of your fingers against your palms.
8. Rub your thumb using your other hand. Do the same with the other thumb.
9. Rub the tips of your fingers on the palm of your other hand. Do the same on the other hand.
10. Rinse your hands with water.
11. If you can’t get to soap and water, then use an alcohol-based hand rub instead.
● If you are using a disposable face mask, the most important thing is to only use it once! They must be thrown away after one use - they are not designed for repeat usage.
● Also consider how long you are wearing it for - if you are wearing a face mask over a long period of time, it can become damp. At this stage you should throw it away and replace it with a new one.
● Make sure the mask is the right way up - most will have a bendable piece at the front which should be fitted snugly over your nose.
● Make sure the mask is the right way round - the coloured side usually faces out, while the white side faces inwards.
● Fit the face mask to your nose first, then position the straps securely around your ears or your head.
● Pull the bottom of the mask over your mouth and chin so that it fits snugly.
● When you come to taking off the mask - go right back to the beginning and start with your hands!
● Ensure your hands are immaculately clean before touching the mask to remove it.
● Remove your face covering and dispose of it immediately and safely.
● Lastly - let's wash those hands one more time to remove any germs that may have been on the mask.
Voila! You’re done!
Written by Rosslyn North
If you area beautician or clinician and want to know what PPE you need for your salon after lockdown, we'd love to help - call our team on 03330 151 166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org